Task Fronterra has an excellent relationship with a high quality thin sections provider. Our thin sections are resin impregnated, diamond lapped, dual stained for K-feldspar and carbonate, cover slipped and free of carborundum residue. We prefer to use core plug trims to allow direct integration with the core analysis results and typically we sample across the permeability distribution to allow more relevant analysis. We can also use core chips, side wall cores, junk-basket samples and ditch cuttings. Un-cleaned plug trims can bring benefit by preserving hydrocarbons within pores.
Thin section analysis
- Point counted to 200 points.
- Data entered into an Excel spreadsheet along with associated core analysis data.
- Granulometric data recorded as mean and maximum grain size and sorting.
- Grain types counted.
- All cement phases detailed and counted.
- All trace components logged.
- All porosity types counted.
- Pore types documented.
- Digital images gathered.
- Basic description provided.
- Microporosity content calculated.
- Samples classified.
- Porosity loss by compaction and cementation calculated.
- Summary statistics derived for all variables, presented on spreadsheets.
- Triangular compositional diagrams produced.
- Q:F:L calculated for each sample.
- Mean Q:F:L calculated.
- Cross correlation matrix derived between all variables, including depth, presented on spreadsheets.
- Cross plots between key variables derived and annotated.
- Derive controls on reservoir character.
- Multivariate statistical methods including multiple linear regression, cluster analysis and ordination techniques.
Results and data presentation
- Diagenetic succession detailed.
- Thin section described.
- Controls on reservoir quality determined.
- Results presented as an integrated report with text, figures, plates and data appendices.
Other techniques and services offered in conjunction with partners
- Scanning electron microscope analysis.
- Whole rock XRD.
- Clay phase XRD.
- Heavy mineral analysis.
- Isotope analysis.